Monthly e-newsletter serving the New England celiac community
Many people have been asking about upcoming NECO events. On October 16, we are holding an Autumn Meeting: Brains, Bellies and Celiac. Plan to come – Registration now open! Please also weigh in on future event programming by taking the quick, 3 question survey. Hope you can enjoy some lazy days of summer this month.
Yours in health,
Lee Graham, Executive Director
Take our Survey
Sunday October 16 from 1pm – 4pm at the Newton Marriott. Hear from researchers about arsenic in rice and brain fog, meet an intern who is measuring villi this summer and learn how GI health affects the rest of the body. See website for more details – registration now open!
Tasty Meditation is hosting a GF Twitter party on Wednesday August 3 at 9pm.
The next Gluten Free North End Market Tour will take place on Saturday August 20.
GREAT Gluten Free Trainings are taking place at the UMass Club in Boston on Monday September 19. The GREAT Kitchen session runs from 9am-12pm, followed by lunch for all attendees, and the GREAT Schools session runs from 1pm-4pm.
NECO Advisory Board meetings are scheduled for Monday September 19 and Monday November 14 at 7:30pm. Contact Lee if you would like to attend or would like more information about what happens during these insightful and spirited evening meetings.
Melinda Dennis MS, RDN, is hosting a Gluten Free Wellness Retreat in Santa Barbara, CA February 3-5, 2017.
Monthly Group Meetings
Many groups are taking a break this month. Please check the schedule and join a group that is meeting or plan to go to a meeting in September.
Group meetings provide the opportunity to talk about managing celiac disease and living gluten free. There are no set agendas, pre-registration is not required and there is no charge to attend. Just drop in!
Visit our Monthly Group Meeting event page for the full schedule and location of each meeting. Contact the group leader if you have questions about any of the group meetings.
- Attleboro, MA: Cancelled this month
- Augusta, ME: August 16, 6pm
- Braintree, MA: August 23, 6:30pm
- Chicopee, MA: August 2, 6pm
- Dover, NH: August 2, 7pm
- East Greenwich, RI: Cancelled this month
- Fall River, MA: Cancelled this month
- Glastonbury, CT: August 3, 7pm
- Natick, MA: August 17, 10am
- Needham, MA: Cancelled this month
- Smithfield, RI: Cancelled this month
- Westborough, MA: August 11, 6:30pm
Celiac Disease and Gluten Free in the News
- Researchers at Columbia University Medical Center have found a Biological Explanation for Wheat Sensitivity.
- The Patient Celiac blog post, Revisting the Past, discusses how challenging it can be to get a celiac diagnosis.
- This abstract discusses the obscure clinical entity of Seronegative Celiac Disease.
- Don’t miss the latest University of Chicago Medicine Celiac Disease Center’s Newsletter.
- Don’t miss this FDA warning about the overuse of Imodium and possible heart complications.
Webinars & Podcasts
Reports & Finds
A member reported that Annie’s Deluxe Gluten Free Mac & Cheese is on sale for $1.00/box at Target.
A member recently visited the Berkshires. She stayed at the Black Swan Inn where she had stayed before but found it improved tremendously since last year. The new manager is celiac-friendly. The breakfast buffet has separate shelf of GF cereal; he has bread in freezer which he will take out for you, and on weekends he makes fresh scrambled eggs and omelets to order! She also got a to die for flourless chocolate tort at Chocolate Springs.
A member raved about Manini’s GF ravioli. Available at Whole Foods, Manini’s pasta comes in flavors including 4 Cheese Ravioli, Portabello & Cheese Ravioli, Spinach & Cheese Ravioli, Roasted Garlic Fettucini and Lemon Thyme Linguini.
Enjoy Life has some new Crunchy Mini and Soft Baked Mini cookies.
King Arthur has a new Measure for Measure Gluten Free flour. Also new from King Arthur are GF mixes for pie crust, corn bread, sugar cookies, and pumpkin bread!
Recipe of the Month
Getting ready to cook? Snap a few photos of your recipe in process or the final yummy result, and submit them to be added to our website!
Interested in becoming a sponsor of NECO? Click here