New England Celiac Organization represents and serves individuals with celiac disease and also those with gluten sensitivities in the New England area. We offer:
- Three issues a year of Gluten Free New England, our full-color print magazine
- An e-magazine, NECO News, with items too important to wait, goes out monthly
- Fourteen informal group meetings held monthly throughout New England
- Quarterly meetings that include workshops for the newly diagnosed, an afternoon of gluten free food related workshops, day-long expos and/or an annual conference
We have a formalized board of directors, and an actively engaged board of advisors and almost 40 active volunteers. NECO has become the recognized education and advocacy group in New England for people with celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders.
- We work hard at making our organization respectful of each of its members.
- We keep a neutral tone in relation to the decisions that each of our members make about their nutrition and health decisions.
- We think this disease is just another way of being in the world rather than something we have to be victimized by. We believe an upbeat stance will lead to sustained diet adherence and self-care.
- We are not just a hub of information but also a social support network.
- We attempt to develop personal relationships with members by coaching a GF life style and following their progress towards a healthy life style.
- We attempt to create as many opportunities as possible to connect or help groups with gluten free needs.
- We develop supportive relationships with other local celiac support organizations.
- We invite new members to volunteer and be part of the volunteer organizational structure as soon as they join and encourage participation.
- We keep a close affiliation with a core of expert gastroenterologists and nutritionists.